Friday, July 24, 2009

THE MAIN THING

To be honest, I must admit that the mass gatherings so far are a bit confusing to me. The music is loud, upbeat, and on-the-feet style music. The fireworks were exciting too.

The words of the songs were singing were on the screens all around us, and usually they were the same as what the leaders were singing, but the words of the special music was usually indecipherable, and the echoes complicated things a lot.

I realize that these comments make me sound like an old man, but this is my seventh youth gathering, so I do have some frame of reference for these comments.

In any case, what concerns me the most about these gatherings is the fact that I am still not so clear about what the "main thing" is so far. The speakers haven't said much that is really memorable, and each one seems to offer their own list of "to dos" that come rolling out one after another. Last night a woman dressed in beautiful African clothing told us that we should learn to dance, get married, have children, and teach them to dance. Nothing's wrong with that, but is that all one of CNN's Hero of the Year can offer 37,000 of us?

So I'm taking the advice she offered earlier in her address. I'm not going to "judge" others. But I will really keep listening, and hoping that eventually I'll figure out what the "Main Thing" is.

No comments:

Post a Comment